Wreckage of missing plane carrying Cardiff City's Emiliano Sala found

Adjust Comment Print

Emiliano Sala's missing plane that disappeared with the footballer and pilot David Ibbotson on January 21, while flying from Nantes to Cardiff has been spotted on Sunday, February 3 using hi-tech sonar equipment-with passengers on board assumed dead.

The AAIB was assisted in locating the aircraft by the Geo Ocean III ship and a ship led by marine expert and shipwreck hunter David Mearns, the FPV Morven.

Nearly two weeks since the plane went missing, a search team led by marine scientist David Mearns has discovered it using specialist sonar equipment.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirmed the sighting on Monday morning.

Speaking on the BBC's Today programme this morning, Mr Mearns said: "We located the wreckage of the plane on the seabed at a depth of about 63m within the first couple of hours of searching".

Mr Mearns told Sky News: "This is about the best result we could have hoped for the families".

The wreckage of a plane transporting Argentine soccer player Emiliano Salo has been found, according to the search team.

He announced the discovery two weeks after the plane went missing over the Channel as it flew from France to Wales.

He had spent his professional career in France, before being signed by Welsh club Cardiff City.

Initial search and recovery efforts were called off three days after the flight disappeared, but the search was then resumed after Sala's family raised funds to continue the efforts.

There were a series of heartfelt tributes before kick-off, with Sala´s photograph appearing on the front cover of the matchday programme and the two captains laid floral tributes on the halfway line before what the club called a "silent reflection".

Last week seat covers from the plane were found to have washed up on a French beach, signalling that the aircraft was likely to have been broken up in the crash.

An official search operation was called off on 24 January after Guernsey's harbourmaster, Capt David Barker, said the chances of survival following such a long period were "extremely remote".