Texas Surf Resort Closed for 'Brain-Eating Amoeba' Testing

Adjust Comment Print

Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died on September 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but highly deadly amoeba that can cause a brain infection. Stabile, of Ventnor, died September 21 at the Atlantic City Medical Center, according to his obituary in the Press of Atlantic City, after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri.

An obituary for Stabile in The Press of Atlantic City describes him as an avid outdoorsman who loved surfing, snowboarding and fishing.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

Naegleria fowleri can be treated with a new drug called miltefosine but in Stabile's case, it was too late.


The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said contaminated water can enter through the nose and pass through the body.

Surf Resort owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told the Waco Tribune-Herald that Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

The surf park where Stabile is suspected to have contracted the infection.

The CDC, along with the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District, is now testing water samples from the surf resort for the presence of the amoeba, CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann told the Waco Tribune-Herald.


In one week, almost $23,000 has been raised to start the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, according to the GoFundMe page.

Infections most typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater, but in "very rare instances", it can also occur in contaminated water from sources such as "inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water". The disease progresses rapidly, and it can kill a human being in five days. "We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri". Four out of 143 known infected individuals in the U.S.in the past 55 years have survived. People can't get it by swallowing water contaminated with the amoeba, the CDC says.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, with just 34 reported between 2008 and 2017.

The BSR pool has voluntarily closed its facilities so that a small CDC team can collect samples for testing.


Comments