Homeless Samaritan will get cash; couple under investigation

Adjust Comment Print

The feel-good story of a New Jersey couple helping out a kindhearted homeless man has taken yet another ugly turn, with a judge ordering the pair to appear in court and a subsequent police raid on their home.

Bobbitt - reportedly a military veteran struggling with substance abuse problems - filed suit against the couple, claiming they used the money from the GoFundMe campaign as a "personal piggy bank" to "fund a lifestyle they could not otherwise afford", according to The Associated Press.

McClure and D'Amico also previously told Megyn Kelly on the "Today" show that they gave Bobbitt $25,000 and he blew through it in less than 13 days.

The couple said there was no money left in a GoFundMe account they set up after Bobbitt helped to buy gasoline after McClure got stranded in Philadelphia, according to the homeless man's attorney.


A spokesman for GoFundMe said the site is also working with police in New Jersey to make sure the homeless man receives all the money raised for him.

Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina issued a written statement about the execution of the search warrant.

Eventually, Bobbitt wound up back on drugs, living on the street and panhandling for food. He could not be reached for comment Thursday on the criminal investigation development. The site has provided $20,000 to Bobbitt and is said to be working with authorities in hopes of helping him get all of his money.

A pro bono attorney for Bobbitt claims that trust was never created.


But Mr Bobbitt's lawyers said he only saw $US75,000 of the funds, alleging the couple spent most of the raised money on holidays to Las Vegas, Florida and California, a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and a new BMW. Their lawyer, Ernest E. Badway, said at the time that McClure and D'Amico would invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. The couple has denied any wrongdoing and say Bobbitt received $200,000 and that $150.000 remains in an account established for him. "On Thursday morning he said he told a reporter the trusts had been set up because that's what Bobbitt wanted him to say", the Inquirer reported.

Badway did not account for the rest but told the judge that they are now preparing the accounting that will "show where the money went".

Through it all, the money that came to Bobbitt couldn't stop D'Amico's addiction. They have said they used their own money for it.

In April, six months after his fateful meeting with McClure, Bobbitt told the Inquirer that he had been clean for three weeks and jobless for much longer.


Fallon, Bobbitt's attorney, told the judge he would ask the New Jersey rehab center whether it is possible for Bobbitt to give his deposition from the facility. Ultimately, the couple only handed over about $75,000, some of which went to a camper and SUV, instead of permanent housing.

Comments