Rescue workers in Thailand on Monday brought four boys safely out of a labyrinthine flooded cave complex where a 12-member soccer squad and their coach were trapped for more than two weeks, taking the total number rescued to eight. The entire Wild Boar youth soccer team and its coach have been safely removed from a cave in Thailand.
The father of Richard Harris, a key member of the team of worldwide experts involved in the dramatic rescue mission, died soon after all the boys were freed.
Dr. Jedsada Chokedamrongsook, the permanent secretary of the Thai Health Ministry, said the first group of boys taken out on Sunday were aged 14 to 16.
The boys will miss the FIFA World cup as it could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital.
"They are good physically and mentally", a health official said at a separate press conference from Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital.
The submarine has been dubbed "Wild Boar, ' named after the young boys" soccer team.
He said that the decision to try to rescue the boys and their coach was made because conditions inside the cave were the best they could hope for and that water levels were low enough after days of good weather that it was possible to walk through long stretches of the passage.
So far, eight of the 13 people have already been rescued from the cave.
"They're asking for chocolate".
"All five will be brought out at the same time today", said the head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakornon, on Tuesday.
"But I guarantee they will all be safe", he added, reflecting an increasingly bullish attitude after two successful operations so far. We've started giving them "medical food" this morning.
The eight boys brought out on Sunday and Monday were in good health overall, although two had suspected lung infections.
Heavy rains in the morning cleared during the day, a reassuring sign for rescuers who have feared monsoon rains could imperil the rescue.
Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, who is leading the rescue mission, also warned today's operation could be more hard due to the increased number of people to be evacuated, but that he expected the "everyone will be out today".
Nineteen team members have entered the cave for the third rescue mission, he added.
Technology billionaire Elon Musk went into the cave on Monday and left the rescue team with a "kid-sized" submarine his company SpaceX had built, Thailand's interior Minister Anupong Paochinda said. "Hopefully useful. If not, perhaps it will be in a future situation".