Ocala school shooting suspect now charged with terrorism

Adjust Comment Print

Bouche is the suspect in a shooting that occurred at Forest High School Friday morning.

"I knew I needed to do something", Lane Murdock, a sophomore at Ridgefield High School in CT who helped organize the walkout, told ABC News. When Woods visited the injured student in the hospital, he said he told him, "I am so glad it was me and not one of my friends". "My emotions are running rampant", he told reporters.

"Marion County does everything to protect their children", Woods said.

It's time to hold legislators accountable for their inaction and call for them to make changes to stop gun violence, Wiltzius said.

The arrest affidavit shows Bouche was allegedly using a 17.5-inch barreled shotgun and the report indicates police suspect he was under the influence of drugs, but not alcohol.

"Once inside school grounds, Bouche entered a bathroom and put on a tactical vest and gloves to prepare himself for the shooting...he shot one round from his sawed-off shotgun through a classroom door", the office said.

Police initially said Bouche was a student at the school, but later said he was a former student not now enrolled. "I could've kept going", Bouche said when asked if he was sorry. The students were evacuated and the high school placed on lockdown, along with 17 other schools in the area.

"The shooting was intentional", Woods said, adding that while the investigation is ongoing and it came to a safe conclusion, he will not release additional information. Woods said Long heard a "large, loud banging sound" and immediately responded.

The shooting comes just over two months after a gunman killed 17 people and wounded 17 others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

The shooting happened at about 8:30 a.m. Friday, on the 19th anniversary of the mass shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado.

Bouche, in a jailhouse interview with the Ocala Star Banner, said that he bought the shotgun without a background check from a private seller online a week after the Parkland massacre. "We also started tying together some jackets to hang out the window, in case we needed another way out".

Afterward, all students were taken by bus with a police escort to First Baptist Church of Ocala, where parents gathered to pick them up, officials said.

"I'm shaking like a leaf in a hurricane", Carter said.

Since then, a number of the student survivors have gone on to become outspoken gun-control activists, organising the nationwide March for Our Lives event as well as monthly school walkouts.