Iranians killed in alleged Israeli airstrike on Syrian base T-4

Adjust Comment Print

Russian Federation summoned the Israeli ambassador to Moscow on Tuesday, a day after the Kremlin condemned the alleged Israeli attack on an Syrian airbase, Israel's Foreign Ministry said.

The Israeli jets fired eight guided missiles, Syrian air defenses managed to shoot down 5 of them, while 3 fell on the western parties from the airport, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.

The attack came amid an worldwide wrangling about the allegations of the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian army in the attack on the rebels in Douma district on the outskirts of Syrian capital Damascus.

The measures come as President Donald Trump is threatening an imminent military strike against Syria, vowing to respond "forcefully" to Saturday's apparent chemical weapons attack on civilians and warning that Russian Federation or any other nation found to share responsibility will "pay a price".

This article has been adapted from its original source.

The images recalled earlier chemical weapons attacks on civilians in Syria, including those involving the nerve agent sarin.

Russian Federation and Syria claim Israel conducted the confusing pre-dawn airstrike on a Syrian airbase Monday.

The United Nations Security Council meet and hear remarks from U.N. Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura via video broadcast, Monday April 9, 2018 at U.N. headquarters.

Syrian rescuers from the White Helmets documented 42 fatalities in Saturday's reported chemical attack but were impeded from searching further by strong odours that caused breathing difficulties, said Siraj Mahmoud, a spokesman for the group. Some had bluish skin, a sign of oxygen deprivation, according to a statement, symptoms consistent with chemical exposure. Washington and Paris denied any involvement, and Damascus later blamed Israel.

Russia's Tass news agency reported Sunday that 8,000 fighters would be allowed to leave Douma for other opposition-held areas in northern Syria. Douma was the only town left holding out.

American officials denied any involvement in the air strikes, with a Pentagon spokesperson adding, "We continue to closely watch the situation and support the ongoing diplomatic efforts to hold those who use chemical weapons, in Syria and otherwise, accountable".

A 2013 chemical attack in eastern Ghouta that killed hundreds of people was widely blamed on government forces.