NYPD hits Conor McGregor with charges after event rampage

Adjust Comment Print

Conor McGregor has turned himself into United States police Thursday night, April 5, following an incident where he allegedly attacked a shuttle bus loaded with fellow mixed martial arts fighters who were attending a NY media event.

"He's been charged with assault, three counts of assault, and one count of criminal mischief", Thomas Antonetti of the NYPD told Reuters. McGregor turned himself in to police Thursday night and will be arraigned Friday morning. A court appearance is scheduled for Friday.

The NYPD has yet to confirm that a warrant has been issued, with reports instead suggesting police are "trying to make contact" with McGregor.

UFC released a statement to say he had been removed from the weekend's card. Both fighters have pulled out from the fight card due to injuries.

Police earlier said one person had been injured as the bus window was smashed, with the chaotic scenes leading to three fights being cancelled this weekend.


As a result, lightweight contender Michael Chiesa has been forced to withdraw from UFC 223. You want to grab 30 f*cking friends, come down here, and do what you did today? The Nevada Athletic Commission fined McGregor $25,000 after he threw water bottles at an opponent during a pre-fight news conference in 2016, the New York Daily News reported.

Addressing his opponent Anthony Pettis, he said: "I'm devastated to say the least". Borg's flyweight contest with Brandon Moreno will no longer go ahead.

"The organization deems today's disruption completely unacceptable and is now working on the consequences that will follow", UFC said in a statement late Thursday.

Videos posted on social media show McGregor screaming at a bus full of UFC fighters who were being taken back to their hotel after the media event.

The video of the incident showed the 29-year-old Dublin native and his entourage tossing trash cans and guard rails at a bus that was carrying numerous fighters who were scheduled to compete in a fight this weekend.


UFC president Dana White told the website MMAjunkie that a member of a credentialed website let McGregor and his entourage of about 20 people into the arena through a door during a media day event.

In the history of the UFC, this is definitely the worst thing ever that's happened.

Lobov was due to battle with Alex Caceres at UFC 223 in the featherweight division but he's been removed because of his alleged involvement in McGregor's melee.

While the altercation wasn't physical, Nurmagomedov is pictured having his hands on Lobov's face. White also said this week he did not expect McGregor to attend Saturday's fights.


Comments